Friday, March 26, 2010

Too Much Information or How do I not turn into a PITA*

School has begun and I have completed two classes: The Fundamentals of Nutrition and Diseases of Affluence.

First an aside: I LOVE school! I had forgotten how wonderful it is to have someone actually care if you produce, look at what you do and give positive feedback on it when you had to do it anyway! No paycheck EVER felt this good! My eternal gratitude to the teachers who make this happen.

Now back to the blog.

I have no idea where to start, as I said Too Much Information! It is hard to begin, because it is all so important and it can absolutely save and extend lives. How do I deal with that? I have information that can extend and save the lives of people I know, love and care about. It will even help the other people in town, but I digress.

If I am too passionate (aggressive, oppressive, zealous-need I go on?) I drive away my friends before they hear the oh so important details. If I do not share this information, and they get sick or worse, and I feel complicit.

So, I try to strike a balance: I am living on an (almost) fully plant based diet. I do not tell people who invite me over, nor do I sway a restaurant suggestion. This way, I pick and choose among the foods offered. In California, this is very easy. I have not been to an event yet where there was not a large veggie platter and at least one fantastic salad along with a whole grain. As I mentioned in the previous lecture, this is about the big picture and if the salad has cheese, I do not sweat it because I know I am most of the way there and making a more healthful selection. A veggie kabob with a bit of meat-no problem. You get the idea.

I have to say that without the full and enthusiastic support of my husband Joe, none of this would work. In fact, I often find that it is his enthusiasm that opens the door for me to talk about what I am learning.

So now our challenge is What to Eat? I have been testing many recipes and Joe has been experimenting with the bounty of vegetables that we bring home from our local farmer's market each Saturday. We have had some great meals! To the point that one of my sons asked for a recipe we made while he was home for Spring Break. SUCCESS!

So let's talk fundamentals. Drilled down to its most basic, this diet is: Eat all parts of the plant and all colors of the rainbow everyday. So some leaves, some roots, some flowers, some red, some yellow, some orange or purple and some green. Easy enough, right?

Joe and I found some challenges and so many questions as we started this journey. I hope to help you navigate this road without having to rediscover the things we have uncovered. I will be posting recipes and also events in the SF Bay Area where we can further our education about the benefits of a whole food, plant based diet.

*PITA - Pain In The A**

No comments:

Post a Comment