Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dedication

Typing these first few words feel like stepping off a cliff. Is there a ledge? Am I tied in? Is anyone out there? I am praying that I will have the dedication to follow through and blog about my quest to a new way of healthy living.
However, as I begin to write this, I realize that the dedication I want will come from those I would dedicate this study to:

1)Lori-Everyone has a friend like Lori. Smart, pretty, driven. The kind of friend who asks a question and then really listens to your answer. The kind of friend who asks questions to make you think. The kind of friend who believes in you and makes you believe in yourself. Lori invited me to join a book club. She assembled a diverse and fascinating group of people and we read a wide range of books. One selection, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" set the stage for my quest.

2)Susan-We were "The Susans"-but no more. Cancer took this beautiful, kind, caring woman from her family and friends at the age of 49. Susan did everything right-exercise, nutrition, a loving family, a large community of friends who loved her, exemplary medical care. She had the odds in her favor, and yet she is gone. What did we miss that would have made a difference?

3)Amy-Our boys played soccer together in the early 1990's and we have been friends ever since. Amy and her family have a faith in God that is awesome. Her son was diagnosed with cancer in late 2008. The medical community was unclear with a treatment plan and the prognosis was not good. Through research and prayer, Amy found a diet that has lead to a 75% reduction in her son's tumor. Her journey has greatly contributed to my faith in God and all that He provides for us.

4)Ryan, Andrew and Kevin-My boys. I would love to find a way of living and eating that gives them control over their medical destiny so they can live long, healthy, disease free lives.

5)Joe-My ever so patient husband who stands by me through my ups and downs while I try to find the balance here. Joe bought 1/4 of a cow because I am convicted it is so important to eat grass fed meat raised on a ranch dedicated to sustainable farming. He did not even raise an eyebrow when, two weeks later when I told him that we needed to drop protein intake to less than 10% of our diet. He is a great cook, loves food adventures and has been not only a great sport, but interested in learning about all this along with me.

And so the dedication will come, not from me, but from God, as I try to honor those who have served as the inspiration for this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I like it. You know us, we always try to stay on the healthy side of the dinner table. Once you get accustomed it's easy - second nature and you can make adjustments as you continue along the journey.

    I have not read The Omnivore's Dilemma yet however it's on the list. The book that got me started back in (never mind) a few years ago was Fit or Fat the Target Diet by Covert Baily. I have not gained a pound since I read the book and started using the ideas contained in it.

    I hope you and Joe have fun with this and know you will enjoy the benefits of healthy living. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete